Before knowing the substitute for ghee we need to know about ghee. Ghee is a very healthy shelf-stable clarified aromatic butter. Ghee is prepared from the solids obtained by cow or buffalo milk at a certain temperature. Milk traders collect pure milk directly from the farmers and At 60° to 80° in temperature gives mesh to maintain the quality, then cream is collected and milk cream is used to make ghee. Foods prepared from ghee are rich in high levels of vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and antioxidants. Ghee is a traditional food of the Indian subcontinent.
It has been used as a cooking ingredient in the Indian subcontinent for many years due to its highly aromatic taste that started in Rajasthan, India and gradually spread across the world. Many things can be the substitute for ghee but ghee is a unique product.
Ghee Preparation Method
Pure cow or buffalo milk is collected from the farmers then milk cream or butter is separated from milk with the help of a machine. The butter is heated until the water evaporates and the fat and yellow color separates from the whole milk solids. The ghee is then stored in a dry clean glass container and the stored Ghee is good for up to six months. Although ghee passed the highest standard, there is no substitute for ghee. It is not true.
Benefits of Ghee
Ghee is a highly nutritious fatty food that improves digestion and is very effective in relieving gastric problems. It keeps the heart healthy and is effective in reducing stress. It contributes to the mental and physical development of children. It keeps the skin healthy, improves digestion and increases physical performance. Keeping all factors in mind we will find a suitable substitute for ghee.
Substitute for Ghee
Everything in the world can have some alternatives, so there can be many things which are substitutes for ghee. We have to decide only by comparing the quality of alternative products. If we find the wrong substitutes, there is a possibility of not benefiting but also causing great harm.
Milk is ideal food, butter is made from milk and ghee is made from butter. So we can say ghee is an ideal food like milk too. When we look at the substitute for ghee, we must ensure that the nutrients and food quality of food are intact, even the aroma of foods.
For example we use sugar in making sweets to enhance the taste of sweets and in cooking we use salt to enhance the taste of cooking. Each of the purposes of the two ingredients is to enhance the flavor of the food. Motives are similar even sugar and salt look similar also but what if we use sugar in cooking and salt in sweets.
Sunflower Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
Sunflower oil can be used as a substitute for ghee due to its unique nut content. Sunflower oil is suitable for deep frying because of the smoking point of 450°F like ghee. Because of a good smoking point, the nutritional value of the food cannot escape from the food.
- The use ratio of sunflower oil and ghee is 4:3 which means you have to use sunflower oil less than ghee. You will use 300 grams of sunflower oil to prepare the same food for which you used 400 grams of ghee.
- The taste of the dishes will change slightly.
Butter : As A Substitute for Ghee
Butter can be a great substitute for ghee. Since butter and ghee have similar fat content, you can use butter as a alternative of ghee. The smoking point of butter is like ghee, so it can work similarly in many dishes like ghee. The health benefits of butter are almost the same as ghee.
You have to mind that ghee is nothing but clarified butter.
- The ratio of butter and ghee is 2:1 which means you have to use more butter than ghee. You will use 100 grams of butter to prepare the same food for which you used 50 grams of ghee.
- Butter does not have a nutty flavor like ghee but you can use clarified butter for nutty flavor.
- You may not always get the rich flavor of ghee by using butter.
Olive Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
An alternative to ghee is olive oil, a common oil found in the kitchen of almost every housewife. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and has many health benefits. It has a high smoking point. By using a substitute for ghee you have to mind some important things.
- The perfect use ratio of olive oil and ghee is 3:4 which means you have to use olive oil less than ghee. You will use 300 grams of olive oil to prepare the same food for which you used 400 grams of ghee.
- Olive oil and ghee will not work equally well in cooking because ghee is traditionally solid and olive oil is liquid.
- By using olive oil you will not get rich flavor like ghee in food.
Coconut Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
Coconut oil is a bit expensive for many as a substitute for ghee. It may not suit everyone’s budget. As we mentioned earlier the main characteristics of ghee is nutty flavor so coconut oil can be your parfait option. The unrefined coconut oil is used more than refined as a substitute for ghee.
- Coconut oil is thicker than many oils, including sunflower. The perfect use ratio of coconut oil and ghee is 1:1 which means you have to use coconut oil like ghee. For instance you will use 100 grams of coconut oil to prepare the same food for which you used 100 grams of ghee.
- Coconut oil and ghee will not work equally well in cooking because ghee is traditionally solid and coconut oil is liquid.
- By using coconut oil you will not get a rich flavor like ghee.
Peanut Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
Peanut oil has long been very popular as a substitute for ghee. It has a high smoking point like ghee and a great source of fat and antioxidants. Peanut oil is so nutritious that by using substitutes for ghee you have to mind some important things.
- The use ratio of peanut oil and ghee is 1:2 which means you have to use peanut oil less than ghee. You will use 100 grams of peanut oil to prepare the same food for which you used 200 grams of ghee.
- Peanut oil and ghee will work equally well in cooking because they both reduce almost the same flavor.
- By using peanut oil you will get a rich nutty flavor ghee.
Sesame Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
Sesame oil and ghee contain the same kinds of nutrition and it has been used as substitute for ghee for a long time. It has almost the same smoking point as ghee and a great source of fat. Sesame oil is a great source of antioxidants and omega fatty acids. It has almost the same flavor and quality and can be a perfect substitute for ghee.
- The use ratio of ghee and sesame oil is 3:4 which means you have to use sesame oil less than ghee. You will use 100 grams of sesame oil to prepare the same food for which you used 75 grams of ghee.
- Sesame oil will work well in cooking, because it is thinner than any oil or ghee.
- By using sesame oil you will not get a rich flavor like ghee.
Soybean Oil : As A Substitute for Ghee
Soybean oil can be very popular as a substitute for ghee. It has a higher smoking point than ghee and a great source of fat also. Soybean oil is almost like vegetable oil as the raw variety of soybean oil has a green bean flavor. It is cheaper than ghee.
- The use ratio of soybean oil and ghee is 3:4 which means you have to use soybean oil less than ghee. You will use 75 grams of soybean oil to prepare the same food for which you used 100 grams of ghee.
- Soybean oil will work well in cooking, because it reduces the mild taste.
- By using soybean oil you will get a rich flavor like ghee.
God has made everything in our world unique. No thing can be a substitute but we can use one instead of another. Ghee is a food prepared from the milk of domestic animals provided by the creator and has no substitute, yet we tried to find out what can be used as a substitute for ghee. It has long been used as a pain reliever in the Indian subcontinent. Ghee massage is also used for sprained feet.
Eating 1 spoon of ghee with hot rice every morning is considered very beneficial for the body in the Indian subcontinent. There are many substitutes for ghee in current Ayurvedic medicine. Examples of many vegetable oils can be given. At the same time considering the food, medicinal properties, nutritional properties, aroma. ghee can be the only substitute for ghee.